Your smile is essential. Dr Sundar would like to discuss the many benefits offered by dental implants if you are missing one or more teeth. Not only can missing teeth cause issues with your self-confidence, but it can also lead to several dental health issues. At Dentiq, Dr Sundar and his team offer the gold standard for dental restorations – dental implants to patients in Greenmeadows, Napier and the surrounding areas. Dental implants present a dental solution that is safe and effective at replacing your missing teeth.
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant includes three main components.
- First, you have the fixture. It is the piece of the implant that is implanted into your jawbone to act as an artificial root. Once inserted, your jawbone will fuse to the fixture. This process, called osseointegration, can take a few weeks to a couple of months to complete.
- Second, you have the abutment. This abutment attaches to the fixture and lies directly above the gum line to support a dental crown, denture, bridge, or another form of dental prosthetic that will be attached to the abutment.
- Finally, you have the dental prosthesis that attaches to the abutment and mimics the function and look of the actual tooth.
What can happen if I do not replace my missing tooth?
If you are missing a tooth and choose not to have it replaced, you could face significant dental health issues down the line, including loss of jawbone.
- Shifting Teeth: When a tooth is lost, a gap is created. Due to daily stress and pressures placed on surrounding teeth, the teeth on either side of this gap can begin to shift into it.
- Decreased Chewing Ability: Losing even a single tooth can create a situation where you cannot chew food as well as you once did.
- Poor Self-Confidence: While dental health issues are critical, beyond this is your self-confidence. When you lose a tooth, you most likely will not have the self-confidence in your smile that you once did.
What are some other advantages of dental implants?
Dental implants provide many benefits other than preventing dental issues and offering a great look. One advantage is that they are incredibly comfortable. Here are some additional benefits:
- The success rate of dental implants is incredibly high. It has been found that the success rate is as high as 98% for those who receive a dental implant.
- With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime. Caring for a dental implant is very simple. Just care for them the same as you would your other natural teeth.
- Your teeth play a vital role in the ability to pronounce certain sounds. Losing a tooth can have a dramatic impact on making these sounds.
If you are ready to rejuvenate your smile with a dental implant, reach out to Dr Sundar and the team at Dentiq in Greenmeadows, Napier. To schedule an appointment, please call 06 880 6161.
Share this Article